Do you pay for student accommodation during holidays?

Going away to university marks the beginning of a very important stage in any student’s life.

For young people, this is a chance to enjoy freedom and independence as they’ve never known before.

It’s an opportunity to leave their comfort zone behind, discover new places, make new friends, learn new things about themselves and expand their horizons. But this growth and freedom also imply numerous challenges. There are many aspects to take into consideration when moving away from home to study, and one of the most important ones is accommodation.

Before moving into your student house, you have to learn about your options for student accommodation in Newcastle and what they imply. Your university journey will be very much influenced by the type of accommodation you choose and how much you’ll pay for it. This is where things tend to get a bit complicated, as many students get tangled in technicalities.

A very common question is whether you have to pay for student accommodation during holidays or not. So, if you still haven’t figured this out, this quick guide will provide the answers you need. The number of weeks you’ll have to pay for your accommodation depends on the type of accommodation you choose.

Student halls

Most undergraduates choose this type of student accommodation owned by the university. It usually implies signing a 40-45 weeks long contract. You’ll be paying for the weeks that you’re going to stay there during the term time, and you’ll also have to pay for holidays such as Easter and Christmas, even if you’re going home.

On the bright side, you’ll be able to stay at the student hall over Easter and Christmas if you wish to, since you’re paying for it anyway. You won’t have to pay for accommodation over the summer holiday, as the university year will come to an end before the weeks stipulated in the contract are up.

Private student halls

Private student halls are very similar to university-owned student halls. The only difference is you’ll sign a contract with a private company. These contracts usually spread over a longer period, which can translate into higher costs, but you may also enjoy better housing conditions. Just as with university-owned student halls, you’ll still have to pay for accommodation during Easter and Christmas holidays. 

Student houses

Student houses in Newcastle are quite different from the first two types of accommodation we’ve mentioned. They’re generally cheaper and you’ll be paying for accommodation monthly, instead of termly. This also gives you a lot more flexibility in terms of contract length, so you may be able to negotiate with your landlord regarding accommodation payment during holidays.

We hope this guide answered your questions and now you’re ready to take the leap.

If you have any more questions, or would like to enquire about renting a student property with us, email our Lettings Team or visit our Percy Street office.