Looking after your home

Throughout your tenancy, it is really important that you treat your home with care and respect.

Looking after your property well during your tenancy, usually means you have less problems with your deposit return. We’ve pulled together a few tips on how to care for your property.

Toilets and drains

We recommend pouring bleach or drain unblocker in all sinks, showers, and toilets AT LEAST once a week to avoid build up that could cause a blockage. Do not flush wipes!

Scrape dishes before washing them so the majority of food waste doesn't go down the drain. If contractors come out to sort a blockage caused by a build up of grime, then you as the tenant will be charged.


If your power goes off, first check to see if the street is affected or just your property. If it's just your property, check the fuse box to see if any fuses have tripped. If they have, reset them and try to find out what could have caused the trip. Had anyone just used an electrical appliance when it went off? If so, it could be faulty and need replacing.

Smoke alarms

The smoke alarms in your property should be tested weekly to make sure that they work. If they're beeping, this means the batteries are low or flat. It doesn't mean that the alarm is broken, but that the back up battery is dead. It's your responsibility as the tenant to replace these.

Fire Safety

It's important to take the proper fire safety precautions, and make sure that any fire exits and main walkways are kept clear. This means always keeping hallways, stairs, and landings free from obstructions. A small, mulltipurpose fire extinguisher is supplied in the kitchen of the property, which can be used in the event of a fire that does not pose an immediate risk. Always remember that if the fire becomes unmanageable, evacuate the property, and call 999.

Light bulbs

Replacing light bulbs is a tenant’s responsibility, except for speciality lighting, such as fluorescent tubes or appliance bulbs. Replacing all your bulbs with energy efficient LED bulbs could save you around £35 a year on your energy bills.

Vacuum cleaners

Make sure to empty or change the bag in your vacuum cleaner regularly. Always use bags in a bagged vacuum cleaner and clean the filters regularly.

Pull cords

You may find pull cords on the blinds and light switches around your home. Please be gentle with them - if they snap, you will be charged to replace them. If you notice fraying in the cord, please let us know.

Condensation and mould

Mould in your property needs to be cleaned regularly in high risk areas, such as window frames, sills, or ledges. Regularly move furniture a few inches away from the walls to allow circulation. Keep kitchen and bathroom extractor fans running when cooking, washing or bathing for adequate ventilation. Leave some background heat on during cold weather - your property should never drop below 18 degrees.

Pest prevention

Remove any sources of food, water or shelter. Store items in sealed storage containers and dispose of garbage regularly. Reduce clutter or areas where pests can hide, and seal any cracks or holes to eliminate outside entry.

Window Cleaning

Keeping the windows of a property clean is your responsibility as the tenant. It’s up to you whether you choose to do this yourself, or hire a local window cleaner.


During your tenancy, you will need to keep your garden or yard clean and tidy. This means clearing out any rubbish, cutting your grass (if you have any) and removing any weeds.

Over door hooks and hangers

Did you know that over door hooks and hangers can cause extensive damage to your door? Using these over door hangers can damage both the door itself and the surrounding frame, and often means that your property is then not compliant with safety legislation that landlords must adhere to. We must also advise against the use of stick-on hooks and hangers, as you will be charged for any damage caused to any paintwork or doors.

If you have any questions or would like to know more about your responsibilities as a tenant, please do not hesitate to contact your Property Supervisor.